poi-user mailing list archives

From Michael Zalewski <zalew...@optonline.net>
Subject RE: What does Saving As do?
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:54:43 GMT
... And, in the case of Word, especially if the document is Quick Saved, the
stream will change.

Another thing that will change in Word and in Excel is if you simply print
the document. Both Word and Excel will change the document stream, depending
on the resolution and the driver characteristics of the printer you select.

Even the structure of a word document can change. In this case, when you
save the Word document after downloading, even the page breaks can change,
because of slight variations in the actual font size used by the printer
driver for the default printer you have selected. This is particularly true
if your default printer has a resolution of 600 dpi or 1200 dpi, but the
document you upload was created with a printer of lower resolution. It turns
out that 10 pt Arial or Times Roman renders as slightly larger on a 600 dpi
printer vs 300 dpi. So if you save a Word document while a different
resolution of printer is your default printer, you may find that soft page
breaks are either inserted or removed. A printer of higher resolution tends
to insert page breaks, or move them to previous lines.

Also, I don't get how uploading the saved file actually proves anything,
especially if the subcontractor disagrees with the main contractor. If the
subcontractor simply uploads the file, the main contractor can say you must
have seen this version of the document - and produce the copy that the
subcontractor uploaded. The bytes making up the file that the contractor
uploaded might be completely different. But that would be OK as long as the
main contractor saved the copy that the subcontractor uploaded. Of course,
the GC still has to be able to show that the copy came from the
subcontractor, not from some other source. And that no subsequent changes to
the specification had been agreed upon.

Would it not be better to use a secure transfer? Maybe coupled with some
algorithm such as Kerberos?