poi-user mailing list archives

From Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>
Subject Re: codepage support for document properties with POI 2.5
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 17:31:21 GMT
Am Mon, 2004-05-17 um 14.15 schrieb Michael.Gesmann@softwareag.com:
> Hi everybody,
>
> the jakarta news page (http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/news-2004-1stHalf.html) mentions
that POI 2.0 added codepage support for HPSF.
> Now, I have downloaded POI 2.5 from http://www.apache.de/dist/jakarta/poi/release. With
this release codepage support does not work as I would expect it to work (German document
properties with Umlauts do not appear as Umlauts on a machine with a non-german default encoding,
e.g. ISO646-US)

POI 2.5 should of course give you at least what 2.0 gives you, if not
more. If you have a problem with codepage support in 2.5, I'd like to
see a sample document showing the error so I can fix it. Please submit a
bug report to bugzilla <http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/>!

> In the downloaded sources for POI 2.5 I find codepage support in the TO-DO-List
> 	- see description in src\java\org\apache\poi\hpsf\package.html,
> 	- see src\java\org\apache\poi\hpsf\TypeReader.java
> 	               * FIXME: Reading an 8-bit string should pay attention
>                  * to the codepage. Currently the byte making out the
>                  * property's value are interpreted according to the
>                  * platform's default character set.
>
> Can anyone explain why it is no longer supported?
> Is it worth to try a POI 2.0 version? If yes, where can I find it (the download pages
only contain POI 2.5)?
> Will there be a future release that (again) supports codepages? If yes, what is the expected
release date?

This is just an oversight in the documentation. POI 2.5 should support
reading property values according to the document's codepage. However,
you must use a Java version that also gives you sufficient codepage
support since POI relies on it. This is the case with a J2SE from 1.4
upwards. And, of course, if you discover a bug, see above for bugzilla!

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  K├Ârner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423