poi-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Joshua" <daniel.jos...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: Autosizing columns
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:26:15 GMT
Thanks... this should come in usefull one day.

Regards,
Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Walker, Donald [mailto:Donald.Walker@gs.com]
Sent: Thursday, 01 April, 2004 5:24 PM
To: 'POI Users List'
Subject: RE: Autosizing columns

It appears that the answer is that there is no answer - it is not possible
in a general way.

However, since the latest versions of POI support macros, I have a
workaround.

When you use POI to create a new file from scratch, you can do the
following:

Create a new file within Excel.  Record a macro named 'Auto_open'.  The
contents of the
macro should be: Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit. i.e.

Sub Auto_open()
    Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit
End Sub

Save the file off somewhere accesible to your application.

Whenever you need to create a new Excel file - open this template instead,
using the
HSSFWorkbook(InputStream inputStream) constructor.

The downside is that the columns will be resized everytime the sheet is
opened.  Workarounds
for this would either be to set a flag saying that it had been done and
shouldn't be done again, or
perhaps to delete the macro itself.

Hope this helps

Donald.