poi-user mailing list archives

From "Karl-Heinz Zengerle" <karl-heinz.zenge...@sawag.com>
Subject AW: AW: AW: evaluating simple formula
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:00:04 GMT
Thanks Avik.

That'll help a lot. The user can input anything in any cell but in our
application we've an expected type and then expect that the result is
nonempty.

So in our application a wrong type will result in an empty string and
that we recognize.

Regards,	Karl-Heinz.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Avik Sengupta [mailto:avik.sengupta@itellix.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 11. März 2004 13:16
An: POI Users List
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: evaluating simple formula

OK, sorry, I didnt have the code in front of me...

currently you have to do trial and error... and it doesnt throw an
exception :(. If its a numeric formula, getStringValue will return ""
and if it's a string formula, getNumberValue will return 0 !!

I thought it was user friendly to ensure that the poi client code will
not throw null pointer exceptions, but maybe not .. the basic assumption
i suppose was that one would know what kind of data a cell has, but
again, maybe not!

So maybe this could do with some refactoring!

HTH
-
Avik