poi-user mailing list archives

From Chris Cheshire <cchesh...@bigredwire.com>
Subject Re: Reading documents(excel) from Database
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:20:32 GMT
An InputStream is just a stream that you can read from. Don't think of
it in terms of a filesystem, that is just one small use of it. All POI
is concerned about is being able to read from the stream. It could come
from a local file, it could come from data read over a socket.

If you store the spreadsheet as a blob in the database, you can then
retrieve it via a normal sql query, and grab an inputstream from the
java blob and use it in the POI libraries.

Of course this ultimately depends on whether the database you are using
has blob functionality implemented, and their java drivers can handle it.

HTH

Chris

Halász Bálint wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am newbie in POI.
> My primary question is :
> - Is it possible to load document(excel) from database? And if yes how?
>
> I am asking this because from the doc and API it is not quite clear the
>  <http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/apidocs/org/apache/poi/poifs/filesystem/POIFSFileSystem.html#POIFSFileSystem(java.io.InputStream)>
POIFSFileSystem(java.io.InputStream stream)