poi-user mailing list archives

From Obi Van Kenobi <geonosian_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject xls file format : Regarding what are the bare minimum records needed for an xls file
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:33:12 GMT
Hi ,

I am a newbie trying to understand excel file format.
I have a clarification regarding what are the bare
minimum records which are needed in a excel file.

The documention contained in sc.openoffice.org
indicates that the following is the bare minimum. The
others are optional.

// workbook global
BOF
WINDOW1
FONT (1..N)
XF (1..N)
STYLE (1..N)
BOUNDSHEET (1..N)
EOF

// worksheet substream
BOF
DIMENSIONS
WINDOW2
EOF

But in Apache POI-HSSF if I create an *empty* excel
file and view through java BIFFViewer I can see many
more records than this . Yes, HSSF  may be writing
some default values for other records. But just to
clarify,  with the above minimum records is it
possible create a valid excel file ?

Thanks in Advance
ObiVan