poi-user mailing list archives

From Glen Stampoultzis <gst...@iinet.net.au>
Subject Re: Excel charts
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:30:22 GMT

At 04:23 AM 9/01/2004, you wrote:
>I believe that Glen Stampoultzis was in charge of the charting part of
>this. I've seen his name around this list and the todo page shows "GS" as
>being the chart person. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him post to this
>list in a while. If anyone knows him, I'd appreciate his input if he's got
>time.
>Thanks.

Hi... I'm still here.  I haven't touched charting in quiet some time but
I'm still keen to see it completed.  I got discouraged at the time because
it proved to be much harder than I originally thought and some of the
necessary pieces (such as formula's) weren't ready.

I implemented most of records required for charting but the fun doesn't
stop with just implementing the records.  The number of records required to
create a simple bar chart is huge and they are combined in moderately
complicated ways.  To make it harder the Excel 97 Developers Kit doesn't
document them very well.  It provides a reasonably good detail on the low
level record structures but not much information on how they hang together.

If people would like to help contributing I'll try and offer any advise I
can.  You will really need to get yourself a copy of the Excel 97
Developers Kit though.  It's now out of print but you can get really cheap
2nd hand copies (checkout amazon).  That's how I got mine.

Regards,

Glen