poi-user mailing list archives

From "Ryan Ackley" <sack...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Using Excel as a persistence mechanism
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 04:40:01 GMT
One disadvantage I see is that its not transactional. Transactions allow you
to group a set of changes to the datasource that either must all succeed or
all must fail. Without transactions, data integrity can be corrupted. I
don't know how you are representing your data so I don't know if this is an
issue. With POI you would have to build this capability yourself and it
isn't trivial whereas if you used a database it may already be there. HSQLDB
is an embeddable open source java based database. I have no idea if it
supports transactions though. In my experience, the data used by the
application is too "raw" for the end user. I would recommend using a
database for the datasource and using POI for Excel import/export.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dimitri Pissarenko" <dimitri.pissarenko@gmx.net>
To: <poi-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 10:51 PM
Subject: Using Excel as a persistence mechanism

Hello!

I am workng on an open-source process modelling system demetrix -
http://demetrix.sourceforge.net/resources/2004_01_05_demetrix_0_0_1/index.html

At the moment, demetrix stores all the data of a process chain in
Excel files, which are written and read using POI/HSSF.

The advantage of Excel is obvious: the user can edit the data manually
and can always view them -> higher transparency of the application.

I am curious about what costs this solution might result in (apart
from the fact that Excel is probably not suitable for storing large
amounts of data).

Any ideas?

TIA

dap