poi-user mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Paradizov" <java_dev...@hotmail.com>
Subject Cell Type Problem with Excel 2002
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:49:00 GMT
Hello,

I have been using POI / HSSF for a while now. With the deployment of Office
XP at many of hour sites I have noticed that I started having problems with
my web application that uses POI.

The spreadsheet that users upload to the server contains a text column,
which is loaded to Oracle as VARCHAR2. This column has a designated item
code, which can contain standard alphabet letters and digits. The problem is
that when it's all digits Excel treats it somehow differently. It comes up
with an error message saying "Number stored as text".
In POI I would expect getCellType to return STRING rather than NUMERIC
because that's how the cell is formatted. Instead I get a numeric cell value
and all of a sudden ".0" is added at the end when I convert it to a string.
Here is the example:

12345 formatted as text gets interpreted as 12345.0 in POI. I understand
that according to the description of the HSSFCell model in JavaDocs the
client app is supposed to do the conversion by itself. But how do I know if
what I am looking at was "12345" or "12345.0" in the original spreadsheet?
I can't risk making those assumptions myself.

Does anybody know a workaround? What do I do if no matter what, I always
have to read string value of a cell in a certain column?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Konstantin Paradizov