poi-user mailing list archives

From "Robert Lowe" <rml...@rmlowe.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemoryError at large Excel Sheets
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:04:45 GMT
Jan, I aked basically the same question a few weeks ago:

http://www.mail-archive.com/poi-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg03092.html

The short answer seems to be "no", because of the way records are
cross-referenced in an Excel file.

Best regards,

Robert Lowe
http://RMLowe.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Teegen [mailto:teegen@risclog.de]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 8:38 PM
To: poi-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: OutOfMemoryError at large Excel Sheets

Hello,
i want to create an Excel file with 36 columns and 33168 rows out of my
database. i guess that are amount 1,2 millon cells.
When i want to create an Excel File with these number of cells i'll
become an error: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
i know that this failure occurs because my programm creates 1,2 million
cells (and HSSFCell-Object). Now my question.
Is it possible to create an Excel-File row by row. Now i create a
workbook, then a sheet, row and cells. not until all cells are created i
write the workbook in the file.
is there any alternative to put row after row into the Excel-File. So i
don't need to create 1,2 million objects of HSSFCell ?

Thanks

Jan Teegen