poi-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OWC as viewer, POI as generator
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:24:46 GMT
On 10/3/03 9:44 AM, "Bates, Alex" <AB210009@teradata-ncr.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As we all know, when viewing XLS content in the browser, the developer has
> no control over whether the XLS is launched in a new window, and whether the
> user is prompted.  This is because these are desktop settings controlled via
> the folder options -> file types -> xls -> advanced tab in Windows Explorer.

Works in netscape ;-)

> The nice thing about Microsoft's OWC browser control is it works around this
> issue.  Usign OWC, it overrides this setting and forces the XLS to be
> displayed in the browser.  But even better, it has a button "Export to
> Excel" that will actually lauch MS Excel with the contents of the XLS.
> Without this option, the user would have to copy the contents of the XLS
> frame and paste into Excel, not good.

We also have a SheetViewer Applet which displays it embedded without
launching Excel (using POI locally)...

> What I want to do is take advantage of POI's excellent XLS generation
> capabilities, and OWC's usability features.  POI is capable of pointing to a
> file data source (instead of ODBC).  So what I want to do is point to a URL
> data source, which is the POI servlet that generates the XLS.
>
> Q: how to set the OWC DataSource to point to the url of the POI
> servlet that generates the XLS?
>
> So, I have a JSP page that has an <OBJECT....> with the embedded OWC object.
> One of the properties of this object is the connection string.  I've found
> documentation on how to point to a file data source, using
>
> Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=<filename>;Extended
> Properties=Excel 10.0;'
>
> I've tried setting <filename> to the url of the servlet, but it doesn't seem
> to work.
>
> Any one else out there tried this?

No clue here because I'm not on windows...just wanted to point out the
alternative (SheetViewer applet)..

> Alex

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.