poi-user mailing list archives

From Avik Sengupta <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excel Crashes
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:49:39 GMT
Yeah sure, I appreciate the data could be confidential.

The problem is, its quite impossible to debug a situation like this
unless both the code and data are available .. so all we can do is
provide pointers...

In  many such bugs have been fixed recently, but its of course
impossible to prove that all possible files written by POI are valid in
Excel (as proven by Karl Popper :) ..

So tell us which version you are using. Try to find out, by elimination,
what kind of data is causing problems.See if you can find anything
specific. One important file corruption bug has been fixed in CVS but is
waiting for a new release is when there are many unique strings in the
file, it fails to open in Excel...

In general, the way these things are debugged is to, by trial and error,
find out which element causes the problem. Then stare at two file in a
hex editor :) (Actually, there is something called BiffViewer, that
converts the file to a textual representation, so u can stare at it in a
text editor!)

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 16:53, Matt Biggin wrote:
> I'll have a go at providing some source but it's tricky because I use POI to write the
output from a data reconciliation tool. It's not particular bits of data which cause the crash
but also the amount. Also the data is reasonably confidential and I can't just send it out.

> What's the best way to provide you with code?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Matt
>
> p.s. We use POI for all sorts of things here. Great tool.
>
> Avik Sengupta <avik@apache.org> wrote:
> yeah, that happens if there is any error in writing out the xl file.
> We've fixed some important one's recently....
>
> To help debug your case, you must supply the minimum code required to
> replicate your case, and the example xl file, otherwise its impossible
> to figure out whats happening. Also, tell us which version you are
> using?
>

> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 12:55, Matt Biggin wrote:
> > Has anyone got any experience of POI writing a XLS file which cannot be opened in
Excel? In fact I have an application which creates a spreadsheet and if you give it certain
kinds of data then when you try to open the resulting spreadsheet, Excel throws a Dr. Watson.