poi-user mailing list archives

From Avik Sengupta <avik.sengu...@itellix.com>
Subject Re: How do you get the contents of a CELL as it appears?
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:01:23 GMT
Well, in an excel file, the displayed value is not stored. The cell
value and the cell format are stored separately, and dates are stored as
longs.

Remember POI is, by design, a very thin wrapper around the file
structure. So to get the displayed value, you will have to get the
format and the  value separately and merge the two yourself. The problem
of course is that the format is Excel specific, so to use it in java,
you might have to massage it a bit.

If you manage to get it done, it might make a good addition to the
contrib area of the POI sourcebase.

Regards
-
Avik