poi-user mailing list archives

From "Ashwani Mayur" <ashwani_ma...@fanniemae.com>
Subject Re: How to convert .xls file to .csv format file using POI
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:11:54 GMT
Amon,

I was moving on that direction and bumped into few problems .
1. In the usermodel, I was not able to read the formula fields. Infact I
could not find any function that could read the value of the formula column
for me in the UserModel (I am sure there will be some valid reason for
that). The getCellFormula() function provides me the formula name and this
one does not work when the user have copy pasted the formula from one row
to the rest of the rows.
>From one of the archived mails I came to know that this is an issue (might
get fixed in future) with the formula fields in the present versions.

2. When I tried the eventmodel, I was able to read the formula values
without any problem but date fields were the problem. There are various
subclasses of the org.apache.poi.hssf.record.Record class including the
FormulaRecord but I am having hard time to read the date field because I
could not find the DateRecord or equivalent class to read the date format
fields.
In the utility class there is one function to read the date format but that
takes HSSFCell as an input and I am still not able to figure out how to
pass a record to this util class to get the date field.

Also as I already metioned that my requirement was only to read the data
from the selected columns and not to do any formula manipulation so I
though that conversion to CSV could be one of the possiblities to read.

Once again I do appreciate the hard work put in by the folks in this
project and the qucik replies from every one

Ashwani