poi-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: POI for stuff other than Excel
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:18:30 GMT
On 7/24/03 9:28 AM, "Scott Palmer" <scott@digital-rapids.com> wrote:

> Interesting and encouraging...  Just out of curiosity, am I closer to
> the second to ask or the 10th to ask? :)

IIRC about the 3rd or so.  You can check me in the mail archives if your
patient but that¹s my recollection.

> The nice thing about making an AAF  reader/writer is that all the C/C++
> source code is available and the format itself is very open.  It is
> more of a direct port than a reverse engineering task.

Just learn about "software licensing"

> I currently don't have any official "work" time to dedicate to the
> project.  I'm mainly feeling around to get an idea of what might be
> involved as a requirement for AAF may come up in the near future.  I
> suspect that initially my own project will use the native AAF APIs.   I
> would like a pure Java solution as there doesn't seem to be any MS
> structured storage binaries for OS X yet, and if I need to use JNI it
> just adds a layer of complexity.
>

> If I do come up with some AAF code I will happily donate it to the POI
> cause.. but I doubt I will have the time to become more involved with a
> POI peer API.  As it is, I know next to nothing about OLE2CDF and the
> like.

Guess what?  You don't have to know anything about the underlying OLE2CDF.
Just the AAF part.  We did the other for you!  Anyhow, our door is always
open.

-Andy