poi-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Réf. : Re: POI => HDF format
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:14:00 GMT
On 7/9/03 11:40 AM, "alexis.bohn@innetis.com" <alexis.bohn@innetis.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the answer,
>
> I think, I will try to use RTF generator like JFOR : a sourceforge project.
> jfor=Java xsl-FO to Rtf converter
> (I don't know if it work with a Cocoon framework ...)
>
> The HDF API was based on the Word 97 specifications format.
> I think I hear that all the new format of MsOffice documents will
> change with the newest release, they would integrate more
> XML reference.
> Is it in the vision of the new API HWPF ?

That has been revised.  Now M$ is planning to only make that available in a
"premium" version of office.  This will reduce the usefulness of XML Office
format as an document exchange format.

For POI there won't be a vision for such things.  We need to keep our scope
tight given the number of qualified and willing folks is much smaller than
for most other projects (only really special people tend to like going
through hex dumps)...

I have something else in mind.  I'd like to see a top level Apache project
dedicated to data transfer formats (not necessarily XML).  We could tackle
common APIs for various file formats.  The POI community of course would be
the founding members, but as time moves on I can see other projects joining
this new top-level project under a common PMC.

-Andy