poi-user mailing list archives

From Brook Stevens <bstev...@Cleanwise.com>
Subject event model vs iterating over rows
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:51:11 GMT
I am new to POI so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

I am trying to write a very simple excel reader that essentially will
process information row by row, and could be potentially large files.  The
way I would do this with a csv file (which is what I am replacing) is to
simply read in each row.  I looked at the example on Javaworld which seems
to do this, but mentions that the event model is better, fine so now I am
looking at using the event model.  My issue is that I don't really
understand if with the event model everything is in the order that I expect
it to be... i.e. if the last record was in row 2 and the record I am
processing now is in row 3 will there be any subsequent records in row 2.
Or do I need to read in the entire file before I am positive that I have
everything in row 2.  And if that is the case would it just be better to
iterate over the rows.
Hope I am making some sense, thanks.

Brook