poi-user mailing list archives

From "Dzmura, Mark (Ciber)" <Mark.Dzm...@alcoa.com>
Subject RE: Am I realy the only one trying to read a formula value?
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:38:12 GMT
Caspar:

I am a POI user, and have mostly lurked on this list to date.  I
get a lot of benefit from the time, consideration and efforts which
the primary developers and users of POI put into their discussions
on the list.

I hate to flame, because I think flames are largely counterproductive,
but you have provoked me.

The developers of POI have given considerably of themselves, with no
compensation from the open source community but (1) the goodwill of their
users, and (2) the active participation in the further design and
development
of the software, by the most dedicated in the community.

They have given more than anyone has a right to expect - but some people
just don't "get it":

> I am working on project for one of Denmarks biggest companies. We are
> looking at POI as poosible tool, for solving our problem. I am hoping
that
> we can get some help on this isue otherwise we have to for another tool.
>
> I really mean that the people who has developed POI, should be little
more
> helpfull.

If you have any experience with obtaining support for proprietary,
closed-source software - even when you pay for it - then you already
know that it is rarely as good as an active open source project's
user or developer mailing lists.

With open source, there are NO GUARANTEES that ANYONE will ever
respond to your questions, but there is a VERY GOOD CHANCE that someone
eventually will.  Still, there are a lot of good reasons why an answer
to your particular dilemma may not be immediately forthcoming.

If you exercise a combination of patience and creativity,
you will find a solution to your problem.

If the capability you need is sufficiently esoteric, you may
have to add it yourself, then contribute your changes back to
the project.  That's what Open Source is all about.

>> I think that would make this tool realy popular.

As happy as we all might be that your huge company is using POI,
POI is already plenty popular, thanks.  Its utility, price, and
membership in the Apache family pretty much guarantee its broad use
as long as enough people remain interested in maintaining and enhancing
its capabilities (and M$ doesn't self-destruct or run out of $$$).

Good luck,
Mark