poi-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of HSSF for Excel interface with Database?
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2003 02:30:20 GMT
Excel files are NOT database files.  Even if you COULD query them, it
would just be a delarative way of
iterating row by row.  The data is stored linearly (so far as this is
concerned) not in a tree of any kind.  Its like
asking to query a comma delimeted file...  You  COULD but it wouldn't be
*fast*.  (You'd just be wrapping a delarative
syntax over iterating the rows or worse iterating them, putting them in
a tree and THEN querying them...)

Secondly, if you have any choice in the matter BIFF8 (excel) is a CRAPPY
transport format.  Meaning the file format
is bloated and inefficient.  You'd be better off dumping out text files.

However, if you don't have a choice, yes you'll have to do it a row at a
time and compare.  Fortunately this is outstandingly easy.
If I were inclined I could probably write the whole thing in less than
20 lines of code.

-Andy