poi-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to Read Write Word Doc
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:14:45 GMT
Qgh Rohgy wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a requirement to update a Word Doc using Java.
>
>I know that HDF can be used for this purpose. But have

it cannot yet.

>noticed that this is in the 'scratchpad section' and
>also there is not much documentation avaliable (like
>java docs, How to guide etc)
>
>Could anyone please let me know :-
>1) Should I use POI HDF API? i.e. is it complete with
>all desired functionality?

yes, if you are willing to contribute to its development.  No.

>2) Where can I find more documentation on it?

There is none.  its in a very pre-alpha state.

>3) What are the other options that I have regarding
>reading and writing Word Doc.

Singlethreaded/win32:  do so with VB and launch word as an OLE server.
singlethreaded/heavy/multiplatform/native: Use the OpenOffice java apis
Multi-threaded/multiplatform:  I've never used anything that did this.
I remember seeing several
expensive products that did this in my google search.

-Andy