poi-user mailing list archives

From Qgh Rohgy <questan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AW: Use of HSSF for Excel interface with Database?
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:13:41 GMT
Thanks for the replies.

Our data group has decided that they will extract the
information from excel into their database themselves

I just need to generate excel and let users modify
that excel through the front end.

That get me to another dilema :-
Can I make portions of the excel 'read only' through
HSSF?
I went thru the previous questions and found that POI
HSSF  does not support password protection in Excel.

I there a way I make some portions read only ? ( I do
not want any password protection)

Thanks,
qgh

--- Wulf Wechsung <ww@contexo.de> wrote:

> Hi Ogh,
>
> if plattform is not an issue for you, you can use
> odbc for that purpose.
> One requirement though: Your tables need to be
> extremly well formed (header,
> data thats it, no fancy stuff). I made a convinience
> API that makes opening
> odbc datasources a charm. It can also create new
> ones or delete existing.
> For working on tables you can use either a JDBC
> Connection or the
> abstraction I made, which basically returns
> javax.swing.TableModel's instead
> of RecordSets. It's not very well documented (yet
> :), but includes testcases
> and a sample application. If you want to you use it,
> just email me and I'll
> send it to you (no need to pollute the mailing list
> :).
>
> Steps for doing it without my code (Win2k):
>
> First you need to register your excel file as odbc
> datasource
>
> Got to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Data
> Sources -> Choose
> Excel-Files and 'New', the rest should be
> self-explaining, do remember the
> name you gave your new datasource though
>
> some sample code:
>
> // The jdbc driver you'll be using (is included in
> the J2SE)
> Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver");
>
> //Connection string where ds_name must be the
> datasource name you assigned
> before
> con =

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:ds_name","","");

> //sample select where sheet_name is the name of,
> well, the sheet you want to
> work with
> // for some strange reason, "[ $]" has to be there.
> select = con.prepareStatement("select * from

[sheet_name$]",ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE,ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY);