poi-user mailing list archives

From Joshua Davis <joshua.da...@kiodex.com>
Subject RE: Use of HSSF for Excel interface with Database?
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:51:19 GMT
I agree.  If your users want to work with Excel, and the application is J2EE
you may want to investigate using SOAP to communicate with the J2EE server.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew C. Oliver [mailto:acoliver@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 9:30 PM
To: POI Users List
Subject: Re: Use of HSSF for Excel interface with Database?

Excel files are NOT database files.  Even if you COULD query them, it
would just be a delarative way of
iterating row by row.  The data is stored linearly (so far as this is
concerned) not in a tree of any kind.  Its like
asking to query a comma delimeted file...  You  COULD but it wouldn't be
*fast*.  (You'd just be wrapping a delarative
syntax over iterating the rows or worse iterating them, putting them in
a tree and THEN querying them...)

Secondly, if you have any choice in the matter BIFF8 (excel) is a CRAPPY
transport format.  Meaning the file format
is bloated and inefficient.  You'd be better off dumping out text files.

However, if you don't have a choice, yes you'll have to do it a row at a
time and compare.  Fortunately this is outstandingly easy.
If I were inclined I could probably write the whole thing in less than
20 lines of code.

Qgh Rohgy wrote:

>I have a project which need an excel interface for the
>users to create/update/delete multiple records in the
>database tables.
>Could I use POI HSSF API for this purpose?
>I went through the API and realized that there is no
>easy way to do so. Unless I find the value of each
>Cell in the Excel file.
>Example :-
>Date   Amount
>3/13    20
>3/14    25
>3/12    15
>3/13    10
>I have 2 columns in my XLS file
>Date and Amount.
>I want to update values in my Database of rows whose
>Date is greater than 3/12.
>Is there an efficent way of querying this in HSSF and
>then updating the Db table?
>Is it possible? How should I do it?
>Is there any other API that I could use?
>Thanks in advance,
>Do you Yahoo!?
>Yahoo! Web Hosting - establish your business online
>For additional commands, e-mail: poi-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

Disclaimer: This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  If you are not the intended
recipient (or authorized to receive this e-mail for the recipient), please
note that review, use, distribution or disclosure of any part of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited, except that you should please contact the sender or
notify Kiodex, Inc. at notices@kiodex.com that you have received this
message in error, and delete all copies of the message.  This e-mail and any
attachments hereto are the property of Kiodex, Inc. and/or its relevant
affiliate, and are not intended to be an offer or an acceptance, and do not
create or evidence a binding and enforceable contract between Kiodex, Inc.
or any of its affiliates and the intended recipient or any other party, and
may not be relied on by anyone as the basis of a contract by estoppel or

View raw message