poi-user mailing list archives

From Brian Glick <B.Gl...@Freightek.com>
Subject RE: Question about Emailing Excel file(.xls) from browser
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 12:47:14 GMT
I think what you would want to do is the following:

1) Create the xls file on the server
2) Serve the file to the browser
3) If the user likes the data, email the file that resides on the server
4) Delete the file from the server.

Brian Glick
Freightek, Inc.
(215) 887-6100
b.glick@freightek.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Qgh Rohgy [mailto:questanser@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 6:16 PM
To: poi-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Question about Emailing Excel file(.xls) from browser

Hello,

Kindly Let me know if this is feasible :-

I am displaying data from a Database table on the
browser in an excel format.
i.e by setting
response.setContentType("application/msexcel");

Once the User is OK with the data he has got, he wants
the same to be emailed to him in an excel sheet format
(i.e xls file).

My Question :-

Is it possible for me to get the excel file .xls from
the data displayed on the browser(which is also in
excel format).??

I know that if I set the
response.setContentType("application/vnd.ms-excel");
I can give user the option to save or open the excel
file.

I do not want the user to save the file directly. The
file needs to be emailed to him along with some other
files.

Hence, again, my question is - is it possible to write
to an excel file directly from the browser excel
format.
How could this be done?

Thanks much,
qgh