poi-general mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: HWPF implications of being in the scratchpad
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:16:07 GMT
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Valentin Jacquemin wrote:
> What are the implications of saying HWPF is in the scratchpad, does it
> mean that the project is not stable enough to be used?

The main thing is that the API isn't fixed. We try to keep compatibility
on the things in the main jar between releases, often binary compatibility
but we should always have source compatibility. For scratchpad, the API
isn't as mature so we don't make the same promises. Generally hand-in-hand
with that is that the code in scratchpad isn't as full-featured, and
possibly doesn't handle as many cases.

> After browsing the dev-list it seems it's still in active development
> and maybe [1] is not up to date, thus my question.

I think we need to tempt Sergey to update the hwpf page with some of his
recent changes :)

Nick