poi-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: publishing poi xmlbeans jars
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2018 23:16:26 GMT
You might point out how widely used POI is include Tika and Solr as consumers of POI/XMLBeans.

Also taking it out of the Attic was previously suggested by others...

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 28, 2018, at 12:41 PM, Nick Burch <apache@gagravarr.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Feb 2018, pj.fanning wrote:
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/attic-general/201802.mbox/%3C1519744891.257410.1285160920.6801732D%40webmail.messagingengine.com%3E
>>
>> Looks like we're not going to make much progress on resurrecting Apache
>> XMLBeans.
>
> The big problem is with Maven users:
> * Anyone using Maven to depend on xmlbeans explicitly won't know to
>   switch to org.apache.poi:xmlbeans to get the fixes
> * Maven won't know that the the old 2.6.0 release and our new fix are
>   the same thing, so will happy pull both in
>
> The smaller problem is by-hand-dependency users - the number of people on stackoverflow
or the mailing list who try combining old and new POI jars + get stuck is rather high - so
the chances of those people getting it right is near zero

> As long as all existing XMLBeans unit tests pass, it should be safe (+sensible) for existing
xmlbeans users to upgrade to our fixed version.

> Could someone help work up a good explanation of the jar-hell + maven issues, so we can
wasn't a flat-out no, just a "no unless you have a good reason otherwise")