poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Javen O'Neal" <one...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2017 04:28:19 GMT
Dave Fisher's (e) seems like the best fix to me. Not everyone needs the
XMLBeans fixes, so we shouldn't force it on them in order to update to the
latest version of POI.

Changing the java package name from org.apache.xmlbeans would break
compatibility with XMLBeans 2.3.0 and 2.6.0, as well as any private forks
people maintain that use the org.apache.xmlbeans package namespace.

If the board is open to it, the least effort solution is to commit the
changes to XMLBeans's repo l, make a release, and update the website
without pulling it out of the Attic. If we can't get around the Apache's
policies requiring non-Attic status to commit or release, then we could
pull XMLBeans out of the Attic just long enough to form a PMC, commit,
release, vote, and update website, then put it back into the attic.

I don't see the changes we need to make to XMLBeans as specific to POI--the
same bugs would affect other projects running on Android. We aren't aware
of what those other projects might be. I don't think that's enough reason
to make a POI-specific XMLBeans release or to copy the source tree inside
of POI.

I haven't had any issues using POI with XMLBeans for my applications, so my
opinions probably don't hold as much weight as those who have been affected
by the bugs.