poi-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Woolsey <greg.wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Discussions on POI 4.0 / Java7/8 voting
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2017 16:52:51 GMT
I'm of two minds regarding 4.0 vs. 3.18.  I know there are big changes in
discussion, that would warrant a major version, but I'm suspicious I'll
find in the next 3 months something else in formula evaluation/conditional
formatting/table styles that requires a POI bug fix, and I'd like for that
to not need to wait until a major API breaking release to get out in a
release.

That sounds like a maintenance branch to me, but I don't generally like
those very much.  So I'm not sure where I stand.

I'm leaning more toward calling a 4.0 release, since we know we want to
make those changes, and my reservations are only about unknowns, nothing
concrete.  I suppose I could get behind a 4.0 next, with the possibility of
taking the lead if needed on a possible 3.18 backport branch for bug fixes
if something significant pops up.

So my voting:

A) 4.0
B) JDK8 (7 is fine but I don't have any use/need for it)
C) yes