poi-dev mailing list archives

From Dominik Stadler <dominik.stad...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache POI 3.17 release (RC1)
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 20:48:56 GMT
Hi,

regression results are in, unfortunately they don't look too good from a
quick look.

There are a number of NullPointerException and
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException somewhere deep in XmlBeans code which cannot
be reproduced when running a single file. I suspect "#61350 - Use
unsynchronized xmlbeans" to be related. The test runs in two threads at the
same time, but always handles separate files. This is something that we
documented as allowed and is used by many downstream projects, only
handling the same item in multiple threads is not supported.

Do we need to make this synchronization setting configurable instead so you
can get the additional performance if you do not use more than one thread
at all?

Additionally a few "IllegalArgumentException: typeface can't be null nor
empty", probably related to some HSLF changes and a few others with only
very few occurrences that I cannot match to recent changes easily.

See http://people.apache.org/~centic/poi_regression/reports/ and
http://people.apache.org/~centic/poi_regression/reportsAll/ for details.

Thanks... Dominik.