poi-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Beeker <kiwiwi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSOC mentee
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2017 20:47:15 GMT
Hi Piyush,

Disclaimer: I haven't been a mentor and only read the FAQ [1] ... and I only would support
Javen/Mark.

> But I got involved with some other project actually. I will be making GSOC proposals
for that project.
I think it's ok, to make two proposals, if that's what you want. [2]

> Now the problem is I don't have a plan of action for making a proposal for implementing
the chart functionality.
You don't necessarily need to work on the chart functionality, but you need to make some kind
of proposal of what you are up to. I'm interested in a synopsis and the deliverables - may
it be small or big. This gives me an idea, if you had a looked at the source and have a somewhat
sane estimation of what you will do.
Keep in mind, that the proposal is just a formal way of discussing your idea - the GSOC program
is about getting students involved in open source programming.

If I would be a mentor, I would use your proposed timeline / milestones, to track your progress.
Of course you would get some (not only) initial feedback, if this is feasible.
Something I don't like about GSOC are the evaluations - but maybe I overrate it.
I don't think it's necessary to fulfill your milestones, but they should be a goal your looking
forward to.

> I have been very occupied lately and also because of my on going college exams.
So maybe it's a bad time now for GSOC 2017?

> I am very much keen on working with open source and specifically with Apache POI.
That's cool - just look at the bugzilla entries and find something of interest to you (...
or find something which is not yet on that list), we are happy to review and apply your patches
and if you show some stamina, you'll eventually be invited as committer.

Best wishes,
Andi

[1]
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline