poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject RE: NPOIFS, files and the read-only flag
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2017 21:01:03 GMT
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017, Murphy, Mark wrote:
> I guess I don't understand this that well, so please bear with me. With
> a File loaded read-write how are changes stored such that writing to a
> different OutputStream is not feasible? I don't think they are written
> back to the original File until a write operation is performed. Or is
> that incorrect?

At the NPOIFS level, if you do writes to an open read-write NPOIFS
instance, those will get reflected back to the original file in
near-realtime without having to call close/write.

At the HSSF / HWPF / etc level, if you open from a read-write NPOIFS, then
write out to a new stream, nothing changes on the original file as a new
NPOIFS is generated + populated.

Nick