poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: Using Apache Commons IO
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2017 20:34:51 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017, Javen O'Neal wrote:
> In the spirit of "the best code is no code", how would you feel about
> replacing our endian classes and IOUtils with Apache Commons IO?
>
> The downside is that it adds a dependency.
> https://poi.apache.org/overview.html#components

How many classes do we need? Do those classes include all the methods we
need, or are there gaps?

(Having dealt with yet another StackOverflow question today from someone
stuck on a really old POI version, and knowing that the ones who make it
to StackOverflow are actually the better ones, I'd rather inline a few
classes / do nothing instead of adding a dependency that people can get
wrong....)

Nick