poi-dev mailing list archives

From Dominik Stadler <dominik.stad...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: [Suggestion] Enhancement for reading big excel files
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2016 13:48:30 GMT
Hi,

thanks for the detailed writeup, the functionality looks like it would be
useful in many cases where memory is limited and files are large, we
encounter these on a regular basis on the mailing lists and stackoverflow.

A few questions upfront:

* How would you ensure feature-parity compared to HSSF/XSSF implementation?
There are a large number of things that are possible in a workbook, do you
plan to support all those or only a subset?
* The text seems to indicate that there is already some code already
available. Can we take a look? You can start a fork of Apache POI from
https://github.com/apache/poi/ easily and do the changes there so others
can take a look and suggest improvements/changes. Or is it a standalone
piece of code?
* How would you ensure that the code is maintained over time? As this
sounds like quite a large chunk of code, are you planning to continue to
invest some time in the long run? We had some cases where code was
"donated", but never looked at afterwards, which is bad as it increases the
code-base, but also increases number of bug-reports and areas that are not
well covered by tests.

Thanks... Dominik.