poi-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Murphy <jmarkmur...@gmail.com>
Subject XWPF Lead
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2016 22:45:27 GMT
I have been researching the WordprocessingML spec, mostly because I have a
need to generate Word documents at work. I have noticed that there is a lot
of low hanging fruit in that API, and thought I would offer to take lead in
starting to get it into shape.

It appears that much of the code is there for Paragraphs and Runs, but
there is a lot of duplication of methods, and naming could be made more
consistent. Tables, headers and footers need more work. In fact it is
impossible to add a table to a header or footer without modifying the
API.Cleaning up these areas and creating documentation and tests would be
my initial focus. I don't think I will get a lot in before 3.15, but I
suspect with the amount of low hanging fruit, I could get a significant
dent made for 3.16.

Right now I have the Git repository cloned, and am starting to make changes
there. I will try to make changes compact enough to make reviews easy.