poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Javen O'Neal" <javenon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Detecting when ignored unit tests pass
Date Sun, 03 Jan 2016 01:11:01 GMT
On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Dominik Stadler <dominik.stadler@gmx.at> wrote:
> Adding a test-suite which looks at bugzilla will cause additional
> web-accesses during CI runs and might cause unstability if bugzilla is
> down/unreachable/flaky or changes web-address (just happened a year
> ago!)... I saw this being used locally at my company but am not sure if it
> is a good idea for an open source project where code is built all over the
> place.

I was thinking of mentioning the bug number in the error message, but
assume the user will figure out what the bug URL is and change the
status as needed. No need to integrate bugzilla with the test suite.
Unit tests should be able to be run without an internet connection. If
the test is named something like "test12345" or "bug12345", someone
might be able to figure out what this is about--but we need to be
crystal clear that if the test breaks, it's because the broken feature
now works as expected, not because a working feature broke, and to fix
the unit test rather than the Java code.