poi-dev mailing list archives

From Dominik Stadler <dominik.stad...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: [Announce] New Committer and PMC Member, David North
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 12:43:10 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:10 PM, David North <dtn-poi@corefiling.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks everyone.

> How do people usually work with the project? For this trivial fix I
> worked directly off an SVN checkout, but I assume git-svn is the way to
> go in order to allow public review of branches / pull requests via
> github when working on bigger changes?

Yes, git-svn works well for me, but I also use a SVN checkout on
another machine. Git-svn allows me to keep changes that are only
necessary locally as well as unfinished work in local branches. I use
"git rebase" a lot to rebase to latest trunk continuously. I did not
try to merge it with the git-repository that is online at github, I
would expect it to have different object-ids and thus not merge well.
But locally git svn rebase and git svn dcommit will happily push back
changes to SVN, some other things need to be observed to make it work
without hassle, I can give more details if you are interested.

Currently larger work is sometimes done on separate SVN-Branches where
others can take a look, however I think unless the changes are quite
intrusive like the sl_common branch, doing the changes incrementally
step-by-step on trunk is the preferred approach as
branching/merging/conflict-resolution quickly gets cumbersome with
SVN.

Dominik.