poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache POI 3.12-final release (RC2)
Date Sat, 09 May 2015 12:08:24 GMT
On Sat, 9 May 2015, Andreas Beeker wrote:
> After reading your response, I've noticed that I broaden the context a bit.
> I only meant poi-src-3.12-20150511.tar.gz/.zip, not the maven source jars,
> which I also prefer when working with open source.

As far as the foundation is concerned, the most important part of a
release is the fully-buildable source pacakges. There's a little bit of an
explanation here:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-source

Source jars are very helpful for people wanting to step into the code in
an IDE, but it's the overall source packages that are key, large as they
may be...

> I still wonder, if it's necessary to provide tgz and zip, but [1]
> suggests that unzip is still not a standard within *nix.

Is it still necessary to provide a zip? Isn't tar.gz standard on all
modern platforms? ;-)

(The tarballs are smaller too!)

> Looking at the bin jars (poi-bin-3.12-20150511.tar.gz/.zip) should it
> also contain the ooxml-schemas-1.1.jar and ooxml-security-1.0.jar ...
> for the sake of completeness?

I could see an argument for including them. However, they would make the
already large binary download package even bigger, and I'm not sure how
commonly they're needed?

Nick