poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Allison, Timothy B." <talli...@mitre.org>
Subject [COMPRESS and others] FW: Any interest in running Apache Tika as part of CommonCrawl?
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 12:48:55 GMT
All,

  We just heard back from a very active member of Common Crawl.  I don’t want to clog up
our dev lists with this discussion (more than I have!), but I do want to invite all to participate
in the discussion, planning and potential patches.

  If you’d like to participate, please join us here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/common-crawl/Cv21VRQjGN0

  I’ve tried to follow Commons’ vernacular, and I’ve added [COMPRESS] to the Subject
line.  Please invite others who might have an interest in this work.

         Best,

                     Tim

From: Allison, Timothy B.
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 8:39 AM
To: 'Stephen Merity'; common-crawl@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Any interest in running Apache Tika as part of CommonCrawl?

Stephen,

  Thank you very much for responding so quickly and for all of your work on Common Crawl.
 I don’t want to speak for all of us, but given the feedback I’ve gotten so far from some
of the dev communities, I think we would very much appreciate the chance to be tested on a
monthly basis as part of the regular Common Crawl process.

   I think we’ll still want to run more often in our own sandbox(es) on the slice of CommonCrawl
we have, but the monthly testing against new data, from my perspective at least, would be
a huge win for all of us.

   In addition to parsing binaries and extracting text, Tika (via PDFBox, POI and many others)
can also offer metadata (e.g. exif from images), which users of CommonCrawl might find of
use.

  I’ll forward this to some of the relevant dev lists to invite others to participate in
the discussion on the common-crawl list.

  Thank you, again.  I very much look forward to collaborating.

             Best,

                         Tim