poi-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Beeker <kiwiwi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integrating Jackcess with POI?
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 19:54:54 GMT
Hi Tim,

> So, upon further thought, we propose not integrating Jackcess with POI for now, but we
do propose adding links from each other's websites to the other so that users of POI will
learn about Jackcess and vice versa.

> How does this sound?

I don't mind having links to Jackcess in POI - so +1 from me.
Imho, it's a pity that they've decided otherwise.

I totally respect their decision and I probably would have also other points not to join,
e.g. if I would program for OSS @ work, my main reason not to join would be,
that the namespace is a kind of figurehead for my employer.

> I'd like to share the points from our conversation to elicit public feedback.
Not sure if it makes sense to argue, but here are my two cents:
> 2) We'd have to redesign the maven build process to ant for Jackcess (not hard, I know).
Actually I think this would be the most effort for the beginning.

> 1) From a use standpoint, current users of Jackcess would have to migrate their code
(if we changed the namespace)
So the users would have to press ctrl+shift-o in the Eclipse package explorer?

> 4) Further, Jackcess would be tied to POI's release schedule.
Currently we have betas every 2-4 months, depending on the amount of changes.
I think this is reasonable.

> 3) From an integration standpoint ...
ACK.

> 5) ... there is no decrease in learning cost simply because of a change in namespace.
Just because it's not an advantage, this is not automatically a disadvantage of joining poi.

Best wishes,
Andi