poi-dev mailing list archives

From Freivogel Oliver <oliver.freivo...@born.ch>
Subject RE: [Discussion] Generating MS Word documents based on templates
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 13:04:22 GMT
Hi Harry

Fort positioning and formatting the dynamic parts in the template we used the content controls
introduces in Office 2007. Our component is able to create a basic template with all the supported
dynamic elements for a given data structure. The editor of the template can then move, copy
and paste or remove this elements. There exists also a content control element for iterating
over a collection. Currently our component does not support it, but  I am sure this would
be a great new feature.

Oliver

-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Zhou [mailto:superharry@gmail.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 15. Januar 2015 00:28
To: POI Developers List
Subject: Re: [Discussion] Generating MS Word documents based on templates

Hi Oliver,

We build an internal tool similar to your description using a combination or Apache POI and
Freemarker (the web framework for UI is Apache Tapestry).  Output documents we need are DOCX.

The hard part, as you probably already know, is to give users the ability to manipulate templates.
 Document assembly process is pretty straightforward.

So yes, at least for our simple internal tool, Apache POI works.  Not familiar with docx4j
so can't speak to that.

Harry

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Freivogel Oliver <oliver.freivogel@born.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>

> Last Year we had the requirement to generate MS Word documents based on templates in
a project. The most important requirement was, that the end-user itself can easily create
and modify the templates in MS Word without programming skills. We started an internal project
to build a component in Java based on apache poi, docx4j and spring. We think that there must
be a lot of software project, which have similar requirements.  So my question is:

> do you think it make sense to start an open source project, which addresses this requirements?
And if so, are there developers, which are interested in helping us starting such a project?
Could Apache POI be a place to start such a project as subproject?

--
Best Regards
    Harry Zhou