poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: Possibly dropping the javadocs from the src package?
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2014 13:32:43 GMT
On Sun, 9 Nov 2014, Dominik Stadler wrote:
> I am +1 for removing them and providing separate -javadocs.jar packages
> like it is done for most Maven based products, then everybody can choose
> to download them if necessary but does not need to if not needed. E.g. I
> am always using the source packages to not only have javadoc, but also
> the source code of open-source libraries.

Sounds like we have a conclusion then:
  * -bin package with all poi jars, their dependencies, and javadocs, for
    offline and non-maven users
  * -src package with sources + tests but no jars (downloaded on demand),
    for anyone wanting to rebuild, going forward no javadocs included
    (built on demand)
  * binary jars in maven central, for maven / ivy users
  * source jars in maven central, to aid debugging
  * new javadocs jars to go to maven central, to aid use

Does that seem a sensible plan to everyone, and does that cover what our
users are likely to want / expect?

If so, we need a small change to the build script to exclude the full
javadocs from the source package, and a slightly larger one to
additionally build the javadocs on a per-module basis + package that as a
javadocs jar suitable for maven central upload.

Nick