poi-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Beeker <andreas.bee...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Performanc​e issues related to XMLBeans
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2014 21:35:21 GMT
Hi Yaniv,

> Let’s discuss a way to do this across the board –
Sorry for not answering you first mail ...
The changes to the xmlbeans call seem to be reasonable - +1 from me.
I'm curious to see, if for instance the clean sweep algorithm in #51585 gets even faster ...
;)

> I’m able to contribute by either supplying patches or committing myself –
> I’m already a committer for other projects and have a CLA.
If this won't been dealt by someone else in the meantime, I'll do the changes after
I finished with my current stuff, but that will take a while ...

> The XMLBeans recommendation is that when accessing long XML documents, or
> when performance matters, one should use XmlCursor and not getXXXList().
>
> Obviously performance matters for POI users, especially for big XLSX files,
> so this is very much relevant,
>
> but I’m not sure converting to XmlCursor would be easy –
>
> replacing XmlBeans with another library might even be preferable.
Out of curiosity, which library would have in mind?
Although we partly replaced xmlbeans with JiBX @ work, I don't know if it's possible
with it to manipulate xml data where not all of the schema is available at runtime or
the data is not 100% schema conform.

Best wishes,
Andi