poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Allison, Timothy B." <talli...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release Apache POI 3.11 Beta 1
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 19:20:37 GMT
Rat checked out, successful build on linux.

+1... with one reservation

I just ran a fresh update of trunk from Tika with RC for POI 3.11 Beta 1 against a random
selection of ~10k files from govdocs1, covering many formats.  There aren't many office-x
files, but there are some, and I made sure to include every one in the govdocs1 corpus within
the ~10k files.

When comparing with Tika 1.5:
1) There are no new exceptions
2) There are 15 fewer exceptions (some pdf, but mostly POI)

The regression I reported on the Tika dev list (http://digitalcorpora.org/corp/nps/files/govdocs1/268/268620.pptx)
is really in fact fixed by POI 3.11 Beta1.

When I manually compared files with < 90% token overlap, I found improvements in POI's
handling of rounding and that the newer version of POI is no longer incorrectly adding a "_"
to some numbers in an xls file.

I found one regression in the handling of an xlsx file:
http://digitalcorpora.org/corp/nps/files/govdocs1/598/598948.xlsx

Tika 1.6 w/ POI 3.11 Beta 1 is not extracting the comments in this file, whereas Tika 1.5
(and Tika 1.6 w/ POI 3.10-Final) did extract the comments.  This suggests that the issue is
with POI, but I haven't had a chance to dig in, and unfortunately, I don't think I will have
a chance until Monday.

      Best,

                Tim