poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: Priority of PivotTables using external connections
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:38:23 GMT
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013, Sofia Larsson wrote:
> We are currently developing support for creating pivot tables in POI and
> thought it would be great if this could be part of the framework in the
> future!

Contributions are always welcome! There's some information on the POI site
- http://poi.apache.org/guidelines.html - and others are provided by the
Apache Community Development project - http://community.apache.org/

I think that pivot tables might be a rather large change, so it'd be worth
sending in partial patches for review as you go. That way, you can get
feedback as you work, and it's easier for others to understand + follow
the work

> Our implementation has currently no support for using external connections
> (data from outside of the workbook) to populate the pivot table.
> It this of priority? If it is, does the framework support external
> connections in some other way?

The only external part so far is for external workbook references when
parsing formulas, where you can supply the Workbook instances for these.
eg the open MyData.xls workbook for a "[MyData.xls]Sheet1!A1" reference

If it were me, I'd suggest you create a data source interface, and a
single implementation for data from another workbook. If people want to
suck in data from other things, they can then write their own custom fetch
code against that interface, and then have POI use it

Nick