poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache POI 3.10 Beta 2 released
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2013 21:28:39 GMT
On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Dominik Stadler wrote:
> what are the next steps on POI? Do we stabilize a bit more and release
> 3.10 before doing more risky stuff? Or do some more bugfixes before
> starting the 3.10 release process again?

Given we've had 2 betas so far, it would probably confuse users if we
started doing major and/or breaking changes before 3.10 final is out.
Afterwards we're fine to, compatibility rules withstanding! Hopefully that
won't be that long, if you want to make some big changes it's not too long
to hold off...

What we do have is quite a lot of user contributed patches/fixes that
haven't been applied. If we're not very good at reviewing/applying them,
then it has two bad effects. Firstly, we're less likely to get more
contributions in future if we're not seen to appreciate them. Secondly,
people who have their patches ignored tend not to stick about, so we loose
out on potential new committers going forward. Neither good!

Everyone here is a volunteer, so no-one can demand anyone else do
anything! But, if I did have more spare time than I currently seem to, I'd
personally be focusing on trying to review + apply as many recent user
contributed fixes/enhancements as possible.

Either way, we probably want to set a rough deadline on the next release.
A few days before, we can do a straw poll on beta 3 vs final. If Tim
decides it's leaning towards another beta, then he can pretty much roll it
then. If final is the consensus, then probably best allow a week or so
extra for last minute fixes / tweaks, then roll 3.10 final!

In the mean time, if anyone wants to play with some major changes, best
bet is to take a branch in SVN to work on, then merge it back to trunk
once 3.10 is out.

Nick