poi-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Vladimirov <vlser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HPSF property padding?
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 03:12:16 GMT
B.S.: Nick, regarding your last question - yes, it's common for all
formats and described in MS-OLEPS specification.

Hi everybody again.

Just now JUnit tests passed with "OKAY" twice :)
To make sure all property values are padded correctly it took me some
time to create new properties parser. You can found it (central class)
in TypedPropertyValue. Old class VariantSupport is changed to use new
parser.

The problem is compatibility. Right now, as well as before, we support
10 different property types out of possible 50. All unsupported
properties are reported as byte arrays. And we can't change it - due
to compatibility reasons. Let me show:

1. Assume we want to add VT_UI4 support (unsigned integer)
2. Currently it is reported as unknown and Property.getValue() is byte[4]
3. If we add full support for this property, then internal type will
be Long, and getValue() will return Long as well, not byte[4] anymore
4. Since getValue() is public method, compatibility is broken.

I don't know what can be done here right now, so may be it's just
another task for 4.0

Sergey.

--
Sergey Vladimirov