poi-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <yegor.koz...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: DDF to image converter
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 07:54:07 GMT
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Sergey Vladimirov <vlsergey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was about to start working on DDF to image (PNG / SVG) convertor. I
> noticed there is a Shape abstract class in HSLF usermodel package with
> a lot of subclasses.
>
> Yegor, is it possible to move those classes to DDF package and remove
> HSLF links? The same structures are used in Word and Excel.

This is a good idea. Ideally, we can have a common drawing layer that
can be shared by HSSF, HSLF and HWPF.
Note, that some shape properties depend on the host application, for
instance, shape anchors. Excel uses  a coordinate system expressed in
rows and cells and PowerPoint's coordinate system is expressed in
points. You see that this piece of logic should be abstract. Also,
default properties of a shape are application-specific. In PowerPoint
default fonts and colors are inherited from the master slide, in Excel
they follow default workbook styles, Word may have its own logic,
etc...

I'm OK to move common shapes code to DDF. Please feel free to change
it in any way you like. I wrote  HSLF long ago, at that time the PPT
spec was closed and many parts of my code are based on trials and
errors. Now, when the spec is open, I'm sure that this codebase can be
significantly improved.

Cheers,
Yegor