poi-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Vladimirov <vlser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next Release
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 04:36:08 GMT
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
>>
>> I would like to schedule the release date on the 28th of August, this is
>> the date when the first ever 0.1 alpha release of Apache POI went out in
>> 2001 and it means we will be celebrating 10th anniversary of the POI
>> project! I'm working on a press release for this date and it would be nice
>> to back it with a product release.
>
> Sounds good to me
>
>> In terms of release numbering, I'm leaning towards another beta (3.8
>> beta4), but will be happy with 3.8 FINAL if people think we are ready.
>
> I'd be tempted to roll beta 3 pretty much immediately, and then shoot for
> FINAL at the end of august. That way we can get a little bit more feedback,
> then do a full release. I'd be OK with going just to FINAL if people don't
> think it's worth an intermediate beta 4 though

I'll prefer to release beta4, because of changes in HWPF, inclusing
changes in binary Word files parsing (not mentioning new features like
bookmarks, fields, endnotes, converters, etc.). So some community
testing of those changes will be very welcomed before anniversary
release. 10-14 of August shall be okay for beta4 i think.

--
Sergey Vladimirov