poi-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Stern <stefan.st...@mind8.com>
Subject Re: Some fun and troubles with ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
Date Tue, 24 May 2011 06:11:48 GMT
Hi

> When you are not in perfect word et you need to
> works with 3rd users supplied data you have a risk to "meet" not
> correct data and produce a lot of errors. To avoid a such of situation
> you can use try / catch blocks.

Hm, there are always several, at least two, approaches. One end says,
there is some sort of specification for the file format, so expect your
data to be conform to that specification. The other dogma tries to come
along with all possible mis-configured or non-conform data.

Personally, I prefer to support the first approach as a start.
Supporting all "looks to some extent like a Word document" data is a lot
of effort. This can be done, while POI evolves, but while there are Word
features, which are lacking proper support in the POI API, I don't see
the point in concentrating development efforts in order to handle
non-conform data. In my opinion, the POI API should allow to read all
Word-created files and write Word documents that can be used in MS Word,
without Word complaining about the documents being corrupt. I do not see
POI as a repair tool, supposed to patch up corrupt files. Nor as a
rescue tool, expected to extract the most information from a corrupt
DOC(X) file - and that is what I understood you are talking about.

Of course, provoking RuntimeExceptions ain't very good style and should
not happen. On the other hand, if POI classes encounter non-standard
data, the code must take a decision what to do next. Sometimes there are
ways to handle some data flaws. But more often, a method will simply
abort, throwing a POIXMLException and stop processing, as there is no
way to make sure the further processing won't fail again and again.
Thinkable data faults start with corrupted ZIPs, pass malformed XML and
end up in wrong references inside the document itself. Of course we are
aware of the try-catch-block usage. But what would you propose to do
inside the catch block? With your task in mind - get the most textual
data from the file - the implementation can just "grit its teeth" and
pretent nothing happened. But if you will try to handle / modify the
corrupt data furthermore, the result will get worse and worse.

Maybe you could provide some sample data, that causes the trouble you
reported?

Kind regards,
Stefan Stern