poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Lower memory POIFS
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 01:33:16 GMT
Hi All

Just a heads-up that I'm planning to spending some time while I'm off over
Christmas working on a lower memory POIFS implementation. The idea is to
have it load blocks on demand, in disk instead of logical order, rather
than the current code which loads everything and sorts before use.

Initially I'm aiming for enough support to be able to read the directory
listing, and read streams. I'm not intending to support write, but I do
aim to leave extension hooks in place so it can be added later if anyone
wants to! Performance wise, I suspect it'll be faster to load, but slower
to read streams (due to disk seeks)

If anyone has done anything like this before that they might be willing to
open source, please shout now! (There have previously been dev@
discussions about it, but alas no code that I'm aware of). Otherwise I'll
be hopefully starting to commit stuff to svn in a week or so, and will
report back when there's something to see.

Nick