poi-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: Creating a common ddf shape/drawing model
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:03:43 GMT
  This is how it should be in ideal. Escher is a common abstraction for
all MS Office formats and its high-level object model should be common
as well.

For historical reasons, different parts of POI have their own
implementations of the same drawing model. HSSF introduced support for
Escher in POI 2.5 and with minor modifications this code exists up to
now. HSLF came later and its implementation of shapes is more mature and
should be reusable across other POI modules.

Your idea to refactor HSLF implementation into a common shape model
makes sense. Would you like to contribute? I wrote most of the HSLF
shape stuff and will be happy to give you guidance.

Regards,
Yegor

> Looking at the shape-related code in different parts of POI I got the impression that
the translation from EscherRecord objects to Shape objects could be done the same way regardless
where the records come from.

> The code from HSLF could be a quite good starting point to implement such a common shape
model, at least it would be better than what exists e.g. in HSSF and HWPF.  I was able to
use the model, with some adjustments, to parse drawings from word. It should be possible to
refactor the model to not depend on the document it is loaded from and use it for all document
types.